Sunday, May 8, 2011

Why isn't Boulder's Mayor proud of CU?

Boulder Mayor Susan Osborne had to recently change both her Facebook profile page and her official profile on the city’s site because, as it turns out, she didn’t truthfully graduate from Vassar College.
The school she actually graduated from?  Boulder’s own University of Colorado.
Why would the Mayor of a very University-oriented town be hesitant to list that University as her own?
She claims it’s because she feels more connected to Vassar then to CU.
"I feel as though it's where my allegiance is," she said. "The reality is it's the college that I claim as my own. But my actual BA degree is from Boulder."
Doesn’t something seem a little off about this?  Though I don’t doubt that the Mayor feels special about her time at Vassar, should any official be able to claim a different school for his or her education?  Facebook is one thing, but the fact that she listed Vassar as her undergraduate education on the official Boulder City website just doesn’t feel right.
Worse yet, the school she actually graduated from, but for some reason she doesn’t want to claim, is at the heart of the town she now governs, both culturally and economically. 
I don’t expect Boulder City Council to be cheerleaders for CU.  But given that the University has been struggling with it’s reputation in some ways lately, I would hope that if anyone on the city council, especially the mayor, was a CU alum, they would be proud of the school, at least publicly.
CU is incredibly important to Boulder, and vice versa.  Though I’m sure the University and the town are at odds often, it would be nice, as a CU student, to see some support from the city.  Mayor Osborne’s choice to not claim CU as where her “allegiance” lies doesn’t show any support or pride for the school at all, and I think it’s something seriously disappointing to both the University and the town as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment